Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Good manners sometimes means simply putting up with other people's bad manners

Today I'm watching Dr Phil while I fold socks and put up (more!)laundry. The topic is about "How to get along with anybody". I have to be honest, I find it very easy to get along with just about everyone. The people in the past that I haven't gotten along with, I've been able to cut out of my life. Funny enough, I just realized that the people I just have not been able to tolerate, it's been because I find their behavior rude and unkind. But as far as people that I *have* to have in my life? Well for one, I believe there is absolutely no excuse to be rude. If there's no excuse to be rude, then it's much easier to get along with people. So if you simply can't cut people out of your life, just practice the Golden Rule. It's cliche, but it is absolutely valid. Treat others as you would like to be treated. Be polite. Remember that an ounce of kindness goes a long way, not just in the lives of those you're dealing with, but in your OWN life. At the end of the day, or the end of your life, isn't it better to look back and think, "I dealt with people fairly, politely, kindly, and respectfully"?

Ladies, I have to be honest, I don't like the way most of you conduct yourselves. Not ALL of you, mind you, but many of you. Somewhere along the way it became more important to not be seen as a doormat than to be polite and courteous and ladylike. "Bitch" is seen as a compliment these days. Well not to me. You don't have to be a "bitch" to be assertive. There is no need for aggression or poor manners. In fact, you're much more likely to get your way if you turn on the charm, the sweetness and the pleases. Two important things to remember. One, you set the tone of your home. If you display cheer and kindness, others in your household will follow your lead. Two, how you act doesn't just set the tone for your home, it reflects on your husband and your children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments! Please keep in mind, I demand you be polite to both me and my readers. No insults, swearing or not-nice-ness! :)

Also, I no longer allow anonymous comments.