Friday, May 7, 2010

The whole thing seems like Einstein's dreams

It was one of those days. You know the kind I mean, right Mamas? Everything I said prompted tears, a fit, a dirty look or, occasionally, a slammed door. By the time noon hit, I was feeling a touch frazzled. And by "a touch" I mean I was about 3 slammed doors away from locking myself in the bedroom and drinking Tequila by the gallon. By 2:00 p.m. I was about at the frazzled-looking end of my rope. I decided the only thing to be done was to get in the car and drive to York. Sometimes all it takes for us to calm down and not chew eachother's heads off is a change of scenery and a loud stereo playing Sugarland. When Nathan was younger, he'd usually fall asleep. I didn't expect that to happen this time, I was just hoping if we went for a drive, I wouldn't hear any more slammed doors. Well we hit about 10 minutes out of town and I looked back to see if Nathan was ready for our duet of "It's love" and found him konked the heck out. I decided to drive as far as I could (hopefully without getting lost) and just let him sleep the Grump Britches right out. He woke up around Geneva somewhere and we turned back and ate some chicken and headed home. My mom called at some point and I said "oh we went for a drive, Nathan was cranky"...at which point Nathan piped up "Shooey, was I ever!"

I never used to be the kind of girl to be soothed by a drive. I mean I remember riding around a lot in Carica's car when we were teenagers, but after my nasty accident in '98, I just kinda got too anxious to drive around. That's changed, for the most part, out here. For one, the chances of being carjacked or killed by a meaniehead are very slim. For another, there's no traffic out here in the country (unless you're in one of the big cities, I don't drive to those for relaxation). Then of course, there's the scenery. It really is lovely out here. Those green fields, those endless blue skies...it's all very soothing.

I suppose if I still lived in New Mexico I would have resorted to drinking copious amounts of booze...or selling Nathan to the gypsies.

"When the weight of the world bears down so strong,
You leave footprints on the street,
And there’s too many miles to face,
Without a few more hours sleep,
The storm clouds overhead,
Won’t shed any rain to quench your thirst,
I wanna be the one you reach for first.

When your faith is stretched so thin,
You can see right through your soul,
And you can’t find a nickel to buy a smile ‘cause your pockets all got holes,
You wanna shut the door and,
Hide before the day can get much worse,
I wanna be the one you reach for first."


--Sugarland - "Fall Into Me"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments! Please keep in mind, I demand you be polite to both me and my readers. No insults, swearing or not-nice-ness! :)

Also, I no longer allow anonymous comments.