Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Girls with old fashioned ways

It's no secret that I love to sew and that I value the things that are simple and sometimes, yes, downright mundane. So when I heard from my Mama friends that all their kids had gigantic holes in the knees of all their jeans, I decided I'd help out. I picked up the pants from the Mama-Friends and sat down yesterday to tackle my chore. At one point I said, "sorry sweetie, I have a stack of mending to get to".

......

I'll just pause to let that sink in.

No matter how you say that, it makes you sound a little...well...(don't be offended older readers)....old. Certainly not 30 years old.

I laughed last night as I recounted this story to my Jersey Mama. She thought it was funny but added this, "you remind me so much of my Grandma, my dad's mom. She kept a neat house and loved to sew and cook and she always would put us kids in her lap and hold us and take care of us. You remind me of her". I think that's the first time I've ever really heard stories about this Great Grandma of mine that I never had the pleasure to know. But I love that I may resemble someone in my family with my old fashioned, home-making ways. My aunts and my mom are all powerful career women and I'm...well, not. I like it that way and I wouldn't change a thing but I've never heard of anyone else in my family taking the same path I have and to hear my mom say I reminded her of my Great Grandma touched me and gave me a very real connection to my family, even those I don't know.

I never have an idle day,
New ideas come my way.
Don't know yet what I'll create,
But my imagination's great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments! Please keep in mind, I demand you be polite to both me and my readers. No insults, swearing or not-nice-ness! :)

Also, I no longer allow anonymous comments.