Wednesday, November 9, 2011

You better kiss me 'cuz you're gonna miss me when I'm gone

I seem to be having one of those weeks. Maybe one of those months. Scratch all that, I'm having one of those lifetimes. Y'all know how it goes, right? You're The Mama. So, most of your focus is on caring for other human beings. You know, diapers, homework, baths, stories, breakfast-lunch-and-dinner, laundry, oh-hey-mom-can-you-do-x,y,z? It's easy, when your whole existence is tied up in tending to other people's needs, to get sucked into that horrible black hole of doing nice things for everyone. I've always been the kind of girl who'll try to look out for other people. If I see someone sad, I'll come up with ways to cheer them up. If they're overwhelmed, I'll figure out a way to help out. It's a good quality to have, I think, and I'm proud of my desire to help other people out...most of the time.

But, sometimes, I get overwhelmed and I get sad and dadgumit, right now I'm always a bit of both just because I'm not getting enough sleep and I can't get over this dadgum back injury and well, I'm still doing nice things for other people. I have no idea why, except that there's some sort of flaw in my character that insists I keep doing these things even when I don't feel like it and I desperately need whiskey and a vacation a little quality me time.

Don't get me wrong, I have wonderful friends who offer to help when they can and who send text messages (or notes or little gifts) to cheer me up. And I have the most amazing husband ever. In fact, I've long said that I can be at the bottom of my own priority list (something every psychologist cautions moms against it) because I know I'm at the top of his.

But, I'm tired. And I'm getting very bitey. And I'm not taking enough time for myself, at a time I probably really should. But, I am doing lots of nice things for other people which always makes me feel happy. I'm just not left with much time to do nice things for myself.

How do you other Mamas do it? How do you balance doing nice things for other people and taking time for yourself? Are you good at saying no? (I'm sure by now you've guessed, I never say no...ever.) What's your favorite thing to do to take care of yourself? What's your favorite thing to do to cheer other people up?

1 comment:

  1. I don't do nice things for anyone. I also don't have any friends. Coincidence?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments! Please keep in mind, I demand you be polite to both me and my readers. No insults, swearing or not-nice-ness! :)

Also, I no longer allow anonymous comments.