Friday, March 5, 2010

And when it rains on your parade, look up rather than down.

I've always been one of those girls who love, love, loved the rain. For obvious reasons, this made me a poor fit for the desert state of New Mexico. But I live in a rainy state now. Tonight we may be getting our first rainstorm/thunderstorm of the spring season. There's something so special and simple and pure about my love for this that I don't know if I can even explain it. Spring days in NE are warm, warm enough to open up the windows and doors in the afternoon. Light filters through the windows and the clouds throughout the day. The smell of blooming lilacs and fresh rain will seep into your skin and your senses and your brain. Suppertime finds a darkened sky with a rumble of thunder and often a dash to the clothesline for things that are drying. We peer out the front door at the skies to see if it's going to turn that scary, yet exhilarating, greenish-gray color that comes with a particularly nasty storm. When we fall to sleep at night, rain has permeated every fiber of our being, and we sink into our bed relaxed, soothed, tranquil.

With each season's passing, I find myself ready for the next. After a long spring and summer full of long, hot days, I'm always anxious for fall and for the short days, long nights, and deep peace of winter. After this especially nasty winter (where we broke so many records for snowfall and low temps), I am longing for longer days, walks in the cool early mornings, sun on my skin and wholesome air to fill my lungs.

"Healing rain is a real touch from God. It could be physical healing or emotional or whatever."
--Michael W. Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments! Please keep in mind, I demand you be polite to both me and my readers. No insults, swearing or not-nice-ness! :)

Also, I no longer allow anonymous comments.