Friday, March 26, 2010

Our wedding was many years ago. The celebration continues to this day.

I think one of the best parts of being married is always having your best friend around. Hubby (I need a cool blog nickname for him) and I have a very similar sense of humor and the same interests in entertainment. When we were teenagers he taught me to play Gin and to MUD. He, of course, loves to play his Xbox and I enjoy my Wii a lot. We have always loved to play board games and card games, something I picked up from my dad. Hubby and I are different in a lot of ways, too, of course. He doesn't like country music or much in the way of television. But we always seem to be able to find something to do together. This always involves a lot of laughter and silliness.

We continue to enjoy playing Gin. One of my favorite parts of spring is sitting in the back yard at our table playing gin under the Buckeye tree while Nathan plays. We play until dark or the skeeters drive us in. And we always have a blast. We don't talk a lot, just sit there and enjoy the fresh air and the competition and the companionship. It's a great symbol of our life together, both now and in the future. On our honeymoon, we spent one day in the hotel room playing gin and drinking 4 bottles of Champagne. When we had our Romantic Weekend Away (RWA), we did the same thing and spent an evening sitting around drinking Champagne and playing gin.

Besides Gin we enjoy 10,000 (a dice game), Yahtzee, Trivial Pursuit, Catch Phrase, Life, Sorry, Scrabble, Fantan, Boggle, Moon and Backgammon. When I was pregnant with Nathan, we took a road trip up to Vallecito, something I did every year with my family growing up, and we spent most of our time playing Backgammon.

We also enjoy Canasta and Dominoes. But these games, that are available on Yahoo, we play online. Saves us having to do the math (how lazy is that?!) or, in the case of Canasta, trying to shuffle two decks of cards.

There are some games he's better at, some I'm better at but we're pretty evenly matched at Canasta, Gin and Backgammon.

I don't seem to know very many married couples who enjoy playing games. So I ask you today, Bloggity-Blog-World (BBW), what do you like to do with your significant other? Got any game suggestions for me? Aside from games, we have lots of other things that we love to do but tonight, as I'm gettin my fanny kicked at Canasta, and with the rapidly approaching spring weather, I have good ole fashioned games on the brain!

“Anyone can be passionate, but it takes real lovers to be silly.”
-- Rose Franken

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments! Please keep in mind, I demand you be polite to both me and my readers. No insults, swearing or not-nice-ness! :)

Also, I no longer allow anonymous comments.