Thursday, May 27, 2010

Little town with a great big life

Nathan graduated Kindergarten Tuesday night. It was a huge affair down at the high school and plenty of mamas, daddy's and grandparents in attendance. Nathan had Grandma and Grandpa Harley in attendance of course, and Grandma and Grandpa Faraways (Mike's mom and stepdad who live down in Wymore). After the emotional ceremony where I only cried a little lot, we had everyone over for some ice cream. Grandpa Faraways commented to me what a great place this was to raise a kid. We agree of course, that's why we town-shopped around till we found this awesome place. But I can see his point. The kids said the pledge (including that oh so offensive "under God" line) to the American flag (and no others) and there was even a song that talked about praying. There was no kerfuffle, no uproar, no controversy...just good, wholesome, American fun. Glenn Beck talks in his book "The Real America" about how small towns today still hold true to the values, the ideals, the...Pollyanna-ism of towns like "Mayberry" and shows like "Leave it to Beaver". He maintains, and I agree wholeheartedly, that if you go to these small towns all over the country, you'll see the flag flying, neighbors helping neighbors, a prayer before football games, kids safe and free to ride their bike down the road and people doing hard work to raise their kids and take care of their families. I love the enthusiasm at school sports events, knowin someone everywhere I go and the county fairs, festivals and parades that are rampant in this part of the US. When I left New Mexico, I really had only had a few glimpses of what life in the Midwest could be and I was already head over heels in love with this part of our country. The longer I live here, the more convinced I am that this is truly God's country.

A small town is a place where there's no place to go where you shouldn't.”
--Burt Bacharach

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments! Please keep in mind, I demand you be polite to both me and my readers. No insults, swearing or not-nice-ness! :)

Also, I no longer allow anonymous comments.