Monday, January 17, 2011

The Emperor of Absurdia

Stomp loves anything he deems "absurd". Tonight we read "Drip Drop The Rain Won't Stop". He read it to me, as he's turning into quite the reader. On every page, Digger is upset because he can't build a castle in the sandbox. Nathan read the first few pages right and then decided it would be hysterical to change it around and make it "build a sandbox in the castle". This made him laugh until he couldn't breathe. Then after he caught his breath he exclaimed, "oh Mama, that's so absurd!". But he'd recite it like that every time and then be moved to hysterical laughter again. He has his Mama and Daddy's sense of humor and I love it. It's such an awe-inspiring feeling to see that same sparkle in his eyes when he laughs that I know his daddy and I both get. It really makes me feel like we're passing along an important legacy to him -- the importance of laughter and silliness and just unabashed mirth.

A sense of humor... is needed armor. Joy in one's heart and some laughter on one's lips is a sign that the person down deep has a pretty good grasp of life.
--Hugh Sidey

2 comments:

  1. I love that your little kid uses the word "absurd" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thank you Melody! We love it too. The first time he said it, about 2 years ago, we couldn't figure out where he learned to use it..and use it correctly :) Never a dull moment

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments! Please keep in mind, I demand you be polite to both me and my readers. No insults, swearing or not-nice-ness! :)

Also, I no longer allow anonymous comments.