Thursday, August 11, 2011

Daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life.

Today I'm thankful that I am "just" a housewife. High-powered executive types don't really get it and that's okay. I hear a lot of "so what do you do all day?" and "oh so you don't work?".

I knew once it set in I was going to be a mama that I was going to be a mama at home. My mom worked all.the.time. and I never wanted that for that my kids. Don't get me wrong, my Jersey Mama loves me to mieces and pieces and that's always been perfectly clear. But I missed out on a lot by having a working mama. She couldn't take the time to volunteer at school. I had to take the school bus so after-school-activities were out of the question. And besides all that, I had this image in my head of what my life as a mama could be like. Clean house, clothes on the line, cookies in the oven, home-cooked meals, playdates, walks to the library, etc.

I'm happy to say that stay-at-home-mama-hood has not disappointed. Oh sure, my house isn't as clean as I'd like, but it's tidy. I don't get to bake as often as I like, but I'm able to brighten my husband's day with his favorite peanut-butter cookies pretty often. The rest of those things have fallen quickly into place. And maybe I can't afford jet-setting vacations or a new car, but my kids will look back on their childhood and will remember that mama was around for games and stories and snuggles.

My first year as a mama was rough. We lived with my mother in law in one bedroom and I didn't have a house to call mine. I really only had "mom" stuff to tend to. No "house" stuff. As much as I love the mom stuff, the house stuff really fills out and completes my role. I have two awesome boys now and the house stuff can be overwhelming if I don't temper it with plenty of mom-time. For instance, the addition of just one little boy has increased my laundry-pile three fold. How is that even possible? He can't even walk yet!

So, with all the snide, not-entirely-friendly comments I've been hearing lately about my role as a Mom, I just want to say that I'm thankful for it and I honestly hope I never have to change my career choice! I'm thankful for two sweet sons who make it possible (and fun) to be a mom and I'm thankful for The Viking, who works super hard so we can "afford" for Mama to be at home where she belongs, raising the boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments! Please keep in mind, I demand you be polite to both me and my readers. No insults, swearing or not-nice-ness! :)

Also, I no longer allow anonymous comments.