Wednesday, July 4, 2012

God shed his grace on thee

Happy Independence Day, my friends. I hope you're planning for a safe and joyous holiday! We don't have a whole lot on the agenda today beyond maybe the airshow and the parade and a BBQ with friends! Please take time to remember (and explain to your kiddos) how precious and important our freedom is and why this holiday deserves so much respect. Fly your flag high and thank a soldier.

Once you've done most of the big activities here in town a few times, the real fun is usually on the 3rd. We pretty much always have a crowd over for beer drinkin, fireworks, food and laughter. Things may be a little unstable and uncertain around here right now, but we did the 3rd up right.

We had roughly 20 adults here (and 2 babies and 3 older boys). Stomp and Reece hadn't seen each other in weeks and it was so much fun to watch them play together and romp and be boys and best friends and brothers together. And they were careful to include Reece's younger cousin in what they did. Those are some great boys. The babies slept through it all. In addition to the kids, we had my parents, my bff's (Reece's parents and a girlfriend in from Iowa) and all of their extended family. We also drew into our yard a 20 year old kid from the neighborhood. There was much laughter, $300 in fireworks and enough beer to make Anheuser-Busch jealous.

And you know what? It does a wounded soul good to be surrounded by people who love you, support you, respect you and protect you...to have a family that isn't blood but that chooses you to be their family. I am truly blessed.

God bless the U.S.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments! Please keep in mind, I demand you be polite to both me and my readers. No insults, swearing or not-nice-ness! :)

Also, I no longer allow anonymous comments.