Thursday, July 1, 2010

A patriot is he whose public conduct is regulated by one single motive, the love of his country

It's that time again on Ho-Hum Drive. You see, our little neck of Nebraska is Nebraska's Fourth of July city. We're all famous and stuff. Before I lived here, I read an article in Midwest Living about Seward, NE. Every year that we've lived here, we've filled our days with the annual firing of the anvil (I'd describe it to you, but words don't do it justice), bbq's, parades, pet shows, water fights, air shows, fireworks and lots and lots and lots of funnel cake, classic tractors and car shows. You can see a schedule of events here to give you an idea. We generally start our party on the 3rd with the kind of fireworks that, as a girl in NM, I thought only existed in movies like Annie. When the 4th rolls around in this little town, our population is rumored to swell from over 6000 to over 30,000. There are decorations all over town, freshly painted parking lines, spruced up lawns and a little house on our block is decorated full-freakin-tilt. They have great big wooden fireworks and signs honoring all branches of the military. Truly amazing. I keep meaning to take them some cookies for brightening up our block so much!

This year I am, of course, working. I get off at 10 p.m. on the 3rd so at least I should be able to enjoy some of our home fireworks. And I'll get to do some of the daytime stuff around town. Who knows? This may be the year we enter Shelby into the Pet Show. I'm determined to enjoy it as much as humanly possible, that's for sure. I'm choosing to ignore fatigue and nausea and headaches and just going to go with it. I'm sure everyone will expect me to be a touch tired at the Wal-Mart, considering everyone in town parties hard for this holiday.

On a more serious note, I think it's important, as it always is to honor those who have fought and died for the freedoms we enjoy and celebrate on the 4th. America is truly the land of the free because of the brave and not a day should go by that we don't thank God for those who have paved the way for us to be truly free.

"Every good citizen makes his country's honor his own, and cherishes it not only as precious but as sacred. He is willing to risk his life in its defence and is conscious that he gains protection while he gives it.”
--Andrew Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments! Please keep in mind, I demand you be polite to both me and my readers. No insults, swearing or not-nice-ness! :)

Also, I no longer allow anonymous comments.