Monday, August 23, 2010

You get the best out of others when you give the best of yourself.

I realized something today about friendship. I've missed having friends since we've been in Nebraska, for a variety of reasons: companionship, laughter, girls-nights-out, etc. But I think what I've missed most is doing just stuff for other people. I've always been the kinda girl who gets the biggest thrill, the biggest smile, the greatest joy out of sending out care packages, doing something nice for someone else, etc. It's my nature. It drives Viking Mike crazy sometimes and is his favorite thing about me other times. For instance, when Karyn lived across the street, I bet I cleaned her house a half dozen times because she got frantic and needed a hand. Well, when I lost Karyn's friendship, I also lost the one person out here I'd found to do nice things for (although I'm sure she wouldn't object if I still came out and cleaned her house).

Buuuut, I've been able to do things for the NPN's behind us today and recently, things that really help them out and that make me smile just to do them for someone. And, the lady at Nathan's school who I know from work and whatnot, well I'm going to have an opportunity to help her out of a bind too. I had offered, since the kids are in the same class and because it's my nature, to pick her boy up if she ever got into a jam and needed someone to get him. Well she's having surgery tomorrow and I'll get to take Sean home. Nothing soothes a weary soul like giving a bit to someone else to make their life easier.


***Disclaimer*** I don't mean this to sound conceited or like I'm tooting my own horn. Really I don't. It was just something I thought about and pondered and noticed today. It was weird to discover I missed the giving part of friendship more than any other.

“Give what you have to somebody, it may be better than you think.”
-- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments! Please keep in mind, I demand you be polite to both me and my readers. No insults, swearing or not-nice-ness! :)

Also, I no longer allow anonymous comments.