Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The way nature works seems to be quite magical

Let's face it girls: Pregnancy has the ability to suck the self-esteem out of you like nothin else. Oh sure, your husband's going to tell you you've never been more beautiful (and he'll mean it), but between the weird acne, the puking 24/7 and the weight gain that occurs approximately 32 seconds after conception, it's hard to feel pretty, oh so pretty. And I'm a girl who generally has no problem tellin you just how adorable I am. But I have not been feelin it lately. Not.Even.One.Little.Bit.

But that said, here are some of the tools in my toolkit to keep me healthy and "glowing" and happy and relaxed. (By the way, none of these companies pays me, sponsors or has ever even heard of lil ole me).

1. First and foremost, sleep sleep sleep sleepsleepsleep. I can't exaggerate the importance of a good night's rest. To get there, I employ a few methods. First of all, I swear by Bigelow's Sweet Dreams tea. A mug of this goodness will set you in just the right mood for sleeping. Plus, if you live in the arctic like I do and you're stingy frugal with your heat, it'll get your hands and toes warm right before bed. Secondly, I like to take a warm bath before bed. I put towels with hot-as-I-can-stand-it water on my breasts. This ensures they won't ache while I'm trying to sleep. Then, I use some Bath and Body Works "Sleep" sugar scrub. The lavender/chamomile smell is key to my relaxation. Sometimes I use some bubble bath in the same scent or have The Viking give me a backrub with some of that awesome massage oil. The sugar scrub leaves my skin soft and silky and smelling delicious. Combine all that with a pre-sleep routine of Conan's new show, snuggles with my Viking and laughter and I generally sleep like the dead these days.

2. I know it sounds crazy and ridiculous but, pickle juice. My Nany has, for as long as I can remember, sworn by a swig of pickle juice a day for clear skin. I have no idea why it works, just that it's always worked for the two of us!

3. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. I've been fortunate enough this pregnancy to crave water like no one's business. Bet I'm drinkin close to a gallon a day.

4. Those pregnancy hormones and the vitamins you're taking are already giving you awesomely gorgeous nails. Take care of the rest of your hands with a good quality hand cream. I like this one.

5. If you can swing it, I'd suggest getting a husband like the Viking who continually reminds me I'm the prettiest wildflower in Nebraska.

"Everything grows rounder and wider and weirder, and I sit here in the middle of it all and wonder who in the world you will turn out to be.
-- Carrie Fisher

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments! Please keep in mind, I demand you be polite to both me and my readers. No insults, swearing or not-nice-ness! :)

Also, I no longer allow anonymous comments.